April 14, 2011

Happy New Year!

                         Happy New Year everyone! It's the Cambodian, Laos, and Vietnamese new year this week. :D It lasts for 3 days, longer than the American version of New Years. It's so much fun and so festive around this week. It's in April every year. Sadly I forgot the date, :( but it is always around the 20th something.
                        Every year at this time, my parents get ready for the event. They get food out and clean the house, etc. Normal rituals. Then they set out the food for the dead. So when we sleep, it's kinda as if were telling them to rest in peace, eat up, and just yeah, enjoy the treats we give them. It's fun in a creepy kind of way. Haha.
                       One of the optional things to also do is to make a visit to the local temples. There, you go and give some food to the monk, I think rice but I'm not 100% sure. And then you do some kind of praying. That's suppose to give you good luck for the year or whatever, I'm not really sure because every time I do go to the temple, I always just run off with my friends to hang out since we don't go to the same school. lol It's like a gathering. But it's fun!
Laos New Years^

No comments:

Post a Comment